If you are new to judging, here is some info on what to expect. Our competition uses formal evaluation guidelines based upon Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) procedures. You'll need to be familiar with these procedures, so here are some suggestions:
- To judge beer, you'll need to practice beforehand. Formal evaluation is different than simply drinking a beer and saying "I like/don't like it", but is just as much fun.
- As a judge, you'll be paired with at least one other judge and will evaluate about 8-15 beers per session (probably 2 sessions per day).
- You will write a detailed evaluation of each entry and assign an numbered score on a BJCP scoresheet.
- As an American Homebrewers Association sanctioned competition, we use Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) beer style guidelines as the basis for evaluating entries.
- Download these Style Guidelines and familiarize yourself with the styles.
- Print out some scoresheets, and practice writing up evaluations of homebrew and commercial beers.
- Practice, practice, practice!
Now you're ready to read the full procedures at the Beer Judge Certification Program website!